Thanks, it looks easy and probably good enough for the
first cut.
I am only hesitating because this approach allows only
one type of the fuzzy query at a time (global)
irrespective of the field/Token type. The direction I
am thinking in is more like having one fuzzy query (no
new tokens for parser...) that dynamically selects the
distance function based on the Field name.

Argumentation for this approach is not difficult to
explain, e.g. there are some nice heuristics for fuzzy
date comparison, as well as for zip code, first names,
emails (if the domain is the same and the rest is
slightly different…), for gene matching (LCS)...
The trick is that all of these have different
comparison functions.

I guess decision which distance measure should be used
can be done based on the Field name (type?).

Your comment about linear scan of all tokens, yes this
hurts big time. Typical way to deal with this is to
limit scan to the tokens that begin with prefix of the
search term (how long prefix depends on how long is
the search term). Also you can skip tokens whose
length differs too much (way faster than calculating
the distance). Something like that is a must if you
have large token set. But this is compromise
optimisation, will think about this later.

I am not yet comfortable with the Lucene code and
would highly appreciate your comments especially  if I
am missing the point.

Cheers, Eks

 --- Robert Engels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > I
think it is as simple as 'modifying'