Last week I committed some changes to FuzzyQuery and QueryParser.
Especailly the default prefix length:

> 1) It is now using a default prefix length of 2 in order to
> become usable on big indices. QueryParser has been changed
> accordingly. QueryParser allows to set the prefixLength for
> FuzzyQueries.

changes the semantics of FuzzyQueries. I am not sure whether a
value of 2 is adequate. Maybe the default should remain 0 and
folks with big indices should decide by themselve to use a prefix.

Christoph