On Dec 10, 2004, at 3:27 PM, Terry Steichen wrote:
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why?

Ah, excellent question that I should have addressed in my first message.

Bringing Lucene under a top-level project would allow us to eventually bring the other Lucene ports that choose to Apache Software License their code under the same umbrella. This would allow us to more easily create compatibility test suites to ensure version compatibility (or at least identify incompatibilities clearly). With the new projects coming in, we could bring in new committers and partition the repositories in finer-grained ways.

Sounds like a fair amount of work is involved.

It will be a fair amount of work, mostly administrative.

PS: Heck, just to prove it's probably a dumb question, I still don't even understand either the technical or organizational relationship(s) between Lucene and Nutch.

Nutch is a full-web crawler built, by Doug, using Lucene indexes under the covers. Organizationally, Nutch is under a Apache compatible license. I don't believe any committers, other than Doug, overlap though. We would be bringing in a new set of committers on the Nutch side of things.

        Erik