Bernhard Messer wrote:
Why not implementing a small utility class, f.e CompoundFileUtil.java within the org.apache.lucene.index Package ? This class could be public and implement the necessary functionality. This is what i would prefer, because we don't have to change the visibility of CompoundFileReader or other parts of the API. The other option would be to add a public static method to IndexReader class. But i don't like to overwhelm IndexReader with a method, just a very small audience would use.

Currently IndexWriter is the only public place in the API where the compound format appears. So, until we decide to expose index formats more systematically, I think this should stay at the IndexReader level.

Thus I would prefer a main() on IndexReader that had various commands, perhaps something like:

  java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs list
  java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> cfs extract
  java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> unlock
  java org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader <dir> list-segments

etc.

Doug