I am using lucene-1.4.3 and keep getting IOException -- "Cannot delete
deleteable" from FSDirectory.renameFile() method.  It happens on both
Sun JVM 1.4.2_05-b04 and 1.5.0-b64.  Not sure if this has been addressed
in the latest code.

I implemented the following patch to minimize the need to rename the
deleteable file and the IOException doesn't seem to happen any more.

diff IndexWriter.java.orig IndexWriter.java
570a571,575
>       if(files.size() < 1) {
>               if(directory.fileExists("deleteable"))
directory.deleteFile("deleteable");
>               if(directory.fileExists("deleteable.new"))
directory.deleteFile("deleteable.new");
>               return;
>       }

Daniel Chien-Hsing Wu
Principal Engineer
Content Distribution Platform | Sony Pictures Digital Entertainment
310-482-4938