Terry Steichen wrote:
Would it be possible to optimize the operation to use 1.4 runtime features but retain the option, if desired to run in a legacy (1.3) environment, perhaps in a degraded mode?

Lucene 1.4.3 is a "degraded" mode, no?

There are still back-compatibility issues. To be safe, Lucene 2.0 should still respect Lucene 1.x file locks. So FSDirectory's Lock.obtain() should fail if a lock file exists, unless it's a lock file written by Lucene 2.0 and java.nio.FileLock says its unlocked. To implement this I guess we'd need to store a version number in the lock files. Does that sound right?

Doug