Doug Cutting wrote:
So, when a query is executed on a MultiSearcher of RemoteSearchables, the following remote calls are made:

1. RemoteSearchable.rewrite(Query) is called
After that step, are wildcards replaced by term lists?
I haven't taken a look at the rewrite() methods. Could
you explain to me what is this step doing from a high-level
perspective. I'm not sufficiently familiar with Lucene yet.

2. RemoteSearchable.docFreq(Term) is called for each term in the rewritten query while constructing a Weight.
We could optimize this step by sending a list of terms
and receiving the corresponding list of docFreqs.

3. RemoteSearchable.search(Weight, ...) is called.

So I don't think this is a problem.
Yes, at least for non-wildcard-queries we don't need to change this process.