A very solid (and free) online course on "intelligent information
retrieval" with focus on practical issues can be found on Prof. Mooney
(Univ. of Texas):
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/mooney/ir-course/

I've also copied two interesting papers (from my own private library --
if you are interested I've got much more to offer) for your reading:

For those looking for an answer to the unsolved mystery in IR:
http://www.triplehop.com/pdf/How_Many_Relevances_in_IR.pdf

For those interesting in extending IR systems with Statistical NLP and
Machine Learning
http://www.triplehop.com/pdf/Text_Representation_and_ML_General_Concepts
.pdf

BTW, if someone has had a look at http://www.find.com (meta-search,
indexing and concept clustering system) I'd be interested in their
opinion.

-- Joaquin