Erik Hatcher wrote:

What is the procedure from here?

I encourage you to propose the codebase to the Incubator. I'd be happy to be a sponsor of it, and I'm already tuning in to the incubator list. The lack of community around this codebase will be an issue leaving the incubator, but I think it should come into incubation with no problems.

Thank you for the offer, I'll put together a proposal sometime this week and send it in. In the past various different people have expressed interest in a C version of Lucene, hopefully we can get some of them involved more directly once it's in the incubator.

The Lucene repository is set up to accommodate other languages now and the lucene4c codebase would be a nice start on getting cross-language unit tests started. It would be great to have compatibility tests for the various ports of Lucene.

I agree, cross language compatibility tests would be nice to have.

Additionally it would be good to work on updating the disk format documentation, I've found several cases where the docs are quite out of date compared to the current code. It's hard to expect the various different ports to maintain compatibility when the formats are only documented in code.

-garrett