I get that a searcher needs an index to search, but why not let us create an
instance of the searcher which doesn't blow up untill consumed? It takes an
Directory as dependency, not a writer... The LuceneDirectory could be
responsible for initializing the dir so that the searcher doesn't have a
direct dependency on the writer. The dir should then notify dependent
searcher(s), "hey, the indexed changed"... That way the searcher can be
created and Or maybe return null as result of searches when no index exists.

//Daniel