So perhaps the proposal should allow for a combination of a mostly automated baseline line-by-line port and the explicit provision that embraces drop-in (API compliant) .NET-specific replacements for specific classes?

- Ben

Troy Howard
December 30, 2010 12:39 PM

It's my opinion that we can basically commoditize an automated port
which will fulfill the needs of the community, and allow the project
to, at minimum, continue to release, in a timely fashion, direct ports
of the Java Lucene releases...

Meanwhile we can continue the efforts represented in Lucere, Lucille,
and Aimee.Net to create an alternative API for Lucene.Net which may or
may not include completely re-written code, depending on the
specifics.

I think both concepts can co-exist in a single project and that this
will be the best way to move forward. If you followed the Lucere
project, you'll see that my approach with TDD and Contract Driven
Design was intended to facilitate just such an arrangement.

Thanks,
Troy