At one time I had a SVN server set up at work that had a post-commit
hook set up that would generate a static HTML site from the XML doc
files using Sandcastle. So.. It can be done. That was about 3-4 years
ago and I don't work at that company any longer, so I don't have
access to the details of how that was done.

Regarding SVN locations...

Autogenerated XML doc files should go in the ~/trunk/doc/<component>
folders. The Sandcastle generated static HTML should go under
~/site/docs/<version> folders.

I'll see if I can't dig up some info on how to generate static HTML
with Sandcastle.

Thanks,
Troy