> Where would my effort best go?

My advice is to play to strengths or work on things that seem interesting
or challenging to you.

Looking through the tickets on jira is a good place to start.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET

Look at recent threads on the mailing lists.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-lucene-net-dev/

Another option is to pair with a committer looking for help on something in
particular in order to get it done.
( you have to admit this was a beautifully placed segway/opener for
committers to jump in. ;)  ).

> What are we currently working on?

10+ mana points for using the word "we".

There is a push to get 2.9.4g released and to work on porting 3.0.3 in
trunk.

> Can I join this mailing list?

Anyone is welcome to join the mailing list, unless it's your pet goldfish.
They're kinda shady.