Thanks Michael. I have considered doing as you have suggested but  I was
hoping that i was doing something wrong with the index build and it would be
a quick fix. Guess I will be going down that road now.

I don't understand why lucene is slow at sorting when that is one of things
that it is supposed to do efficiently.
Mark