From: David Smiley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 3 March 2008 4:32 PM
To: lucene-net-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Why translated to C#? Doesn't the CLR avoid the need for ports?

Hi; I stumbled across Lucene.Net.  I'm a Java developer, not a C#/.Net dev.
I thought there is an option or two for Java programs to run on Microsoft's
cool Common-Language-Runtime.  If so, it seems to me quite odd that
Lucene.Net would need to be ported to another programming language.  Part of
the beauty of the CLR is that you don't need to do these sorts of things.
Because it's a common runtime and different languages can interoperate
(within reason).  Even though whatever Java implementation for the CLR isn't
a perfect replica of Sun's implementation and would necessitate some changes
to Lucene, it's hard for me to believe that doing a language port would make
more sense than working on those tweaks.  Please fill me in on the
rationale.  You might want to put the response in a FAQ somewhere.  The
website doesn't have one.

Thanks.

~ David Smiley