George,

I'll let Digy respond to the FSDirectory modifications, as IIRC they are
his.

However, the TestStressIndexing2 mods are mine.  There are fairly extensive
comments here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-143  To make a long story
short, the Java test works in spite of itself.  I can comment more fully, if
necessary, but I'll have to review the changes to be more specific.

-Doug