Chantal,
> For what I know now, I had a bug in my own code. still I don't understand
> where these OutOfMemoryErrors came from. I will try to index again in one
> thread without RAMDirectory just to check if the program is sane.

     Java often has misleading error messages.  For example, on
solaris machines the default ulimit used to be 24 - that's 24 open
file handles!  Yeesh. This will cause an OutOfMemoryError.  So don't
assume it's actually a memory problem, particularly if a memory
problem doesn't particularly make sense.  Just a thought.

Steven J. Owens
[EMAIL PROTECTED]