Personally, I like to know when I'm creating an index
so tend to have different code paths, or even different
classes, for reading and writing indexes.  But how
about creating the IndexWriter with flag set to false
and catching the exception it will no doubt throw
if the index doesn't exist, and reissuing the
call with the flag set to true?

--
Ian.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]