I've got a little problem with indexing that I'd like to throw to everyone.

My objects have a unique identifier. When indexing, before I create a new
document, I'd like to check if a document has already been created with this
identifier. If so, I'd like to retrieve the document corresponding to this
identifier, and add the fields I currently have to this document's fields
and write it. If no such document exists, then I'd create a new document,
add my fields and write it. What this really does, I guess, is ensure that a
document object represents a body of information which really belongs
together, eliminating duplication.

With the current API, writing and retrieving is performed by the IndexWriter
and IndexReader respectively. This effectively means that in order to do the
above, I'd have to close the writer, create a new instance of the index
reader after each document has been added in order for the reader to have
the most updated version of the index (!).

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might approach this?

Regards,
Kelvin Tan

Relevanz Pte Ltd
http://www.relevanz.com