> From: Karl Řie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> is it possible to "intercept" lucene's work at the
> key-handling point? or
> would this require a larger rewrite?

Not only would it be a large re-write, but I think it would make indexing
slower.  I have implemented full-text indexes a B-tree, and adding documents
when the dictionary gets large is very slow.  In Lucene terms, the index is
always maintained in an optimized format, as a single segment.  If you were
to use multiple B-Trees, one per segment, then you would not take advantage
of the B-Tree, and may as well use flat files, as Lucene already does.

Doug