Hi Eoin,

In the contributions area, there is a project called SearchBean which will handle most of the sorting issues for you. It does a full scan at startup (for 100K doc about 5-10 seconds) and stores the field to be sorted in an array. Then it can get access to the sorted field value much faster then hits.get(i).

I hope this helps

--Peter