I see, so every mergeFactor documents they are compined into a single
new segment in the index, and only when optimize() is called do those
multiple segments get merged into a single segment.
In your example below that would mean that optimize() was called after
document 100 was added, hence a single segment with documents 0-100.
Is this right?

Thanks,
Otis