This may be of use to people who want to make lucene index faster.  Also, I'm curious
as to what JVM most people run Lucene under, and if anyone else has seen results like
this:

I'm using the class that Otis wrote (see message from about 3 weeks ago) for testing
the scalability of lucene (more results on that later) and I first tried running it
under different versions of Java, to see where it runs the fastest.  The class simply
creates an index out of randomly generated documents.

All of the following were running on a dual CPU 1 GHz PIII Windows 2000 machine that
wasn't doing much else during the benchmark.  The indexing program was single
threaded, so it only used one of the processors of the machine.

java version "1.3.1_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_04-b02)

42 seconds/1000 documents

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1-b21)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-b21, mixed mode)

42 seconds/1000 documents

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1_01)
BEA WebLogic JRockit(R) Virtual Machine (build
8.0_Beta-1.4.1_01-win32-CROSIS-20021105-1617, Native Threads, Generational Concurrent
Garbage Collector)

35 seconds/1000 documents

java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1)
Classic VM (build 1.3.1, J2RE 1.3.1 IBM Windows 32 build cn131-20020403 (JIT enabled:
jitc))

27 seconds/1000 documents

As you can see, the IBM jvm pretty much smoked Suns.  And beat out JRockit as well.
Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me if search times were also faster under the
IBM jdk.  Has anyone else come to this conclusion?

Dan