Minh:

Why not just use a special character or string (one that won't appear in a
non-empty field) to represent an empty field?  It doesn't have to appear
in the user interface, if that's a concern; you could convert a query
including "FieldA:NULL" (or whatever) into a query containing
"FieldA:emptyfield" automatically.

This allows you to finesse the entire issue of adding something to
Lucene--which may be for the best anyway, since this is really just a
special case of looking for fields whose contents have a specific
characteristic.

Good luck--

Joshua O'Madadhain

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Per Obscurius...www.ics.uci.edu/~jmadden
 It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson