Where can I find any sample code or documentation about merging a set of
small indexes into one big index?

Lixin

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Cutting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 10:24 AM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Re: parallizing index building

Marc Dumontier wrote:
> I'm indexing 500 XML files each ~150Mb on an 8 CPU machine.
>
> I'm wondering what the best strategy for making maximum use of resources
is. I have the tweaked the single process indexer to index 5000 records (not
files) in memory before writing out to disk.

> Should i create an IndexThread and share the IndexWriter object across 5
threads..then monitor when one ends to start another, etc. Or should i
create difference indexes then to a series of merges.

Creating multiple indexes in parallel and then merging them at the end
will probably be fastest.

Doug