A couple of thoughts on this:

- Eclipse uses Lucene for its code indexing/searching (I learned this at the OSCON Keynote by Eclipse folks). Perhaps looking at how Eclipse does its thing would be useful even if not the solution.

- XDoclet could be used to sweep through Java code and build a text/XML file as richly as you'd like from the information there (complete with JavaDoc tags, which Zapata will miss :)), and then run Lucene on the generated files. On a related note, the XDoclet2 architecture would streamline this even further by eliminating the middle textual representation (QDox/XJavadoc reads Java as a "meta data provider" and then a Lucene "plugin" indexes things). It could be done without the intermediate text representation even in XDoclet 1.2, but it would require coding a custom subtask and be slightly out of the norm for XDoclet subtasks (but would work just fine).

- My <index> task could be used, but it would be better to use something that built a complete object-graph of all the source code you want indexed, so that it can deal with base classes, inherited javadoc tags, and other such interactions between classes you might want to capture.

Erik