Hi Jeff, DAMN!, two of the books I haven't got :) I bought Jakarta Struts
from O'reilly and another one on JSP/Servlets/Web programming.

I already wrote the user interfaces and the classes (I wrote a stateless EJB
which performs both the indexing and the researching of the result) to run
the search.

My problem is another: as you'll certainly know, as I'm running on Windows,
my Tomcat home path is something similar to:

D:\Tomcat\

>From my web application (which is a J2EE application using Struts and
Tomcat) I ask the application administrator to specify the folder she wants
to index and the folder where she wants the results to be put (for future
searches...) and the file extensions she wants to include.

Now, the application generates the index without any problem. The problem is
that the path to the files is:

D:\Tomcat\webapps\myapp\web\.... (The list of indexed files) and not
something like:

http://www.jemos.org/myapp/web/index.jsp
http://www.jemos.org/myapp/web/welcome.jsp

...And so on.

Therefore, if the user runs a search, I feel myself ridicolous if I'm going
to show her Windows path instead of web-relative paths. The reason for that
is that I'm using the FileDocument class coming with the distribution, which
write the "path" Field using the File.getPath() method.

But there is another problem: because I'm using Tiles (a mean of framing)
the actual web-content is contained in foo-body.jsp pages, which are not
directly accessible, because at least the user will access foo.jsp (which
basically contains only an include to the foo-body.jsp) but more likely he
will perform a Struts Action.

I'm thinking at the following possible solution:

Defining somewhere (conf file?) a mapping between paths to JSPs containing
sensible content (i.e. referring to the above example foo-body.jsp. This way
the path could remain system-relative) and URLs to Struts Action which are
actually executable by simply clicking a link and which forward to those
JSPs. The user then will perform a search, my application will intercept the
string representing the path to the document containing the information,
will search on the mapping file the mapping to the Struts action and will
display to the user the latter link. Eventually the results can be cached
somewhere.

What do you think about this possible solution?

Marco