On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 10:09 AM, Dan Quaroni wrote:
Yeah, thanks a lot for your help! I'm using the release version of Lucene
version 1.2.

Perhaps give the latest codebase a try too, just to see if any fixes (particularly in that WildcardQuery.toString) are there.

you're getting hits on the wildcard match at least, and probably on
name field "amb" as well.  again, phrase queries don't support
wildcards like you've done here with "south san fran*" so you're not
matching anything with that.

Ok... What's the correct procedure for doing a multi-word wildcard where I
want it to begin with "south san fran" but not get anything else that
contains "south" or "san"? Just and together the south, san, and fran?

As far as I know there isn't a way to do this with QueryParser currently. The real way to do this with the existing API is to use PhrasePrefixQuery and do some manual setup before using it (like you'll see in the current test case and Javadocs for it) by enumerating all the terms that start with "fran" and passing that to a PhrasePrefixQuery (isn't this class misnamed? What does this have to do with "prefix"?) along with "south" and "san".

Although this might produce good results, my understanding was that booleans
retrieve all matches and store them in memory then resolve the booleans. If
I use the term "san" to search California, I'm going to need a lot of memory
to store all of the temporary results...!

+south +san +fran* ought to do the trick. i wouldn't worry about memory too much until you've seen it to be a problem. i think you'll be fine (but don't currently have the understanding or data to back that up).