I had a thought on my earlier post on "Poor
Performance when searching for 500+ terms".

The problem is on how to improve the performance when
searching for 500+ OR search terms. i.e. enter a
search string of :

W1 OR W2 OR W3 OR ...... OR w500.

I thought I could rewrite the MultiSearcher class so
that it can initiate multiple parallel IndexSearchers
to perform the search.

Solution 1 would be divide the query string of "500 OR
conditions terms" into 25 "20 OR conditions terms",
and then pass them to MultiSearcher, MultiSearcher
then initiate 25 threads to search on a single index
directory.

Solution 2 would be when building an index of 1
million docs, instead of building one single index
containing 1 million docs,
build 10 index directory eaching containing 100K
records. then I pass a single query string of "500 OR
conditions terms" to
MultiSearcher, MultiSearcher then initiate 10 threads
to search for 10 different index directories.

Has anyone tried something similar, which solution
would be a better one. Also is using multiple threads
on a single directory a good ideal? Are there any
bottlenecks for threads acessing resources, or
I better pass requests into different processes.

Thanks a lot

 --- Jie Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Thanks
Julian