You should check out the work of Jon Herlocker at Oregon State (http://eecs.oregonstate.edu/iis/). They have written a CF engine that has been on my to-do list to check out for a few months (sounds good on "paper"). If you get the chance to play with it, I'd be curious to hear your feedback. Having a CF engine in the open source domain would be a great thing.

-Mike