Yes.
For this particular example, PorterStemFilter will do the job.
For more complex things (e.g. a search for car returning car, auto,
automobile, vehicle) you'll need to add thesaurus-like capability to
your indexer.  This can be done by writing a custom Analyzer.

It sounds like you have a lot of questions, but have not read much
Lucene documentation. :)

Otis