On Jan 20, 2004, at 10:22 AM, Terry Steichen wrote:
1) Is there a way to set the query boost factor depending not on the presence of a term, but on the presence of two specific terms? For example, I may want to boost the relevance of a document that contains both "iraq" and "clerics", but not boost the relevance of documents that contain only one or the other terms. (The idea is better discrimination than if I simply boosted both terms.)

But doesn't the query itself take this into account? If there are multiple matching terms then the overlap (coord) factor kicks in.

2) Is it possible to apply (or simulate) a negative query boost factor? For example, I may have a complex query with lots of terms but want to reduce the relevance of a matching document that also included the term "iowa". ( The idea is for an easier and more discriminating way than simply increasing the relevance of all other terms besides "iowa").

Another reply mentioned negative boosting. Is that not working as you'd like?

3) Is there a way to handle variants of a phrase without OR'ing together the variants? For example, I may want to find documents dealing with North Korea; the terms might be "north korea" or "north korean" or "north koreans" - is there a way to handle this with a single term using wildcards?

Sounds like what you're really after is fancier analysis. This is one of the purposes of analysis, to do stemming.