Your escape character *is* working to pass it through the parser into the analyzer.

It is the analyzer that is splitting at the dash. Phrases get analyzed too.

Erik

p.s. I wish I had a nickel for every Lucene issue that boils down to QueryParser or Analyzer misunderstanding. :) The two together make for some head-scratching fun, that is for sure.