Sunday, February 8, 2004, 4:19:59 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2004, at 5:32 PM, Ramy Hardan wrote:
>> Is there an efficient way to search refinement preferably without
>> losing the Hits class?

> I'm not quite following your Filter questions, but QueryFilter seems to
> fit the bill for what you are trying to do.  Just keep around the
> previous query, and filter on it for successive searches.

First, thanks for your answer. Basically QueryFilter provides what I
need. But isn't the search actually executed twice, once for
retrieving the Hits and once for creating the QueryFilter instance if
refinement is needed afterwards? This is what I try to prevent. I see
that for the same query and unmodified index I can reuse a queryFilter
but this is quite unlikely in my scenario. Additionaly QueryFilter
doesn't seem to be ready for multiple refinement steps (like searching
for printers - HP - Laser - more than 16 ppm).

I'll try to implement different approaches, profile them and come back
with some evidence rather than bothering you with my speculations.
Thanks

Ramy