Otis Gospodnetic napsal(a):

--- Leo Galambos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Otis Gospodnetic napsal(a):

Thus I do not know how it could be O(1).

~ O(1) is what I have observed through experiments with indexing of
several million documents.

What did you exactly measured? Just the time of the insert operation (incl. merge(), of course)? Was it a test on real documents?

I didn't really measure anything, I only observed this, as my focus was something else, not performance measurements. It is true that every time an insert/add triggers a merge operation, things will slow down, but from what I recall (and this was about 1 year ago), the overall performance was steady as the index grew.

Try the same test with mergeFactor=2, you will see the difference.

Leo