Parminder Singh wrote:

I've a CMS application that deploys metadata to a database. Is it possible to use lucene to search this database instead of it's (lucene's) index. If you could tell me the steps that would be involved in doing this, it'd be great help. I'm new to Lucene.

I've done this extensively. Basically you create documents out of the database and in my case I generated a URL for each doc which would be fed to users after a query. This is one of those things where Lucene stands apart from what seemed to be the alternatives a few years ago (htdig was one thing I used) -- it doesn't have to spider a web site, and if you have a dynamic web site (pages generated from db queries) then the indexing is in a way more efficient as you don't have to parse html to extract what may or may not be the actual text - the db will have your exact content so you index off the db, not from web pages..

Thank You.

Parminder Singh

In war: resolution. In defeat: defiance. In victory: magnanimity. In peace: goodwill. - Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

Disclaimer

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this

Visit us at http://www.mahindrabt.com