Michael Duval wrote:
 > I've hacked the code for the time being by updating FSDirectory and
replaced all System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir")
calls with a call to a new method "getLockDir()". This method checks for a "lucene.lockdir" prop before the
"java.io.tmpdir" prop giving the end user a bit more flexibility in where locks are stored.

In general, I support this change.

Here is the method:

 /** Allow flexible locking directories - Michael R. Duval 3/02/04 */
 private String getLockDir() {
       String lockDir;

       if ((lockDir = System.getProperty("lucene.lockdir")) == null)
               return System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir");
       else
               return  lockDir;
 }

In particular, I have some quibbles. The property should be named something like "org.apache.lucene.lockdir", not just "lucene.lockdir". And there's no reason to look it up each time: it can just be a static.

private static final String LOCK_DIR =
  System.getProperty("org.apache.lucene.lockdir",
                     System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir"));

Doug