I think even a 100K or 1MM doc collection will give you an idea about
the retrieval time/storage requirements (which, of course, are highly
dependent on what you index and how you index it).  I know several
people have created collections with up to 50MM docs on a single
machine (not sure about number of CPUs, etc.)

Otis