Please keep discussion on the e-mail list. I'm not familiar with the fields and types that Nutch uses first-hand, but you should take this up on the Nutch list rather than the Lucene list.

I do know that Nutch uses a custom query parser, so perhaps it does not allow range and proximity queries?

Erik