I notice in your "catch" clause you always set the
writer to be true... (i.e. new IndexWriter(INDEX_DIR,
analyzer, true).

If I am not mistaken reading the docs, this overwrites
the entire index, no? That is why I was setting that
variable to false when doing an incremental update.
When I reindex all documents, I have had no problem.

Gabe

--- "Nguyen, Tri (NIH/NLM/LHC)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did you close your writer if an Exception occured?
>
> I had a similiar problem, but it was fixed when i
> close the writer in the
> finally block.
>
> Below is my original code (which generate
> Mjava.io.Exception: Lock obtain
> timed out when an Exception is thrown)
>
> public static void index(File indexDir, List cList,
> boolean ow)
> throws Exception{
>     IndexWriter writer = null;
>     try{
>         writer = new IndexWriter(indexDir, new
> MyAnalyzer(), overwrite);
>         // index documents
>     }
>     catch(Exception e){
>         writer = new IndexWriter(indexDir, new
> MyAnalyzer(), true);
>         try{
>             // index documents
>         }
>         catch(Exception ee){
>             throw ee;
>         }
>     }
>     writer.close();  // never reaches this statement
> if the catch block is
> called.
> }
>

> // revised code to force a close on the IndexWriter
> public static void index(File indexDir, List cList,
> boolean ow)
> throws Exception{
>     IndexWriter writer = null;
>     try{
>         writer = new IndexWriter(indexDir, new
> MyAnalyzer(), overwrite);
>         // index documents
>         writer.close();
>     }
>     catch(Exception e){
>         writer = new IndexWriter(indexDir, new
> MyAnalyzer(), true);
>         try{
>             // index documents
>         }
>         catch(Exception ee){
>             throw ee;
>         }
>         finally{
>             writer.close();
>         }
>     }
> }

org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:173)