The source of your problem is simple UNIX permission:

java.io.IOException: Permission denied
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.createNewFile(File.java:688)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory$1.obtain(Unknown Source)

Figure out what directory Java's java.io.tmpdir system property points
to, and make sure that directory is writable by the user that runs that
Tomcat server.

Otis