Sorry, about the mispelling, Erik!

Thanks for the insight.

Explain is my friend as an end user, but it, too, is confusing at the code level!  At
some point I will have time to dig deeper and step through the scoring code.

On Jun 1, 2004, at 9:24 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Hey Eric,

Eri*K*  :)

> What did you do to calc similarity?

I computed the angle between two vectors.  The vectors are obtained
from IndexReader.getTermFreqVector(docId, "field").

>   I haven't had time, but was thinking of ways to add the ability to
> get the similarity score (as calculated when doing a search) given a
> term vector (or just a document id).

It would be quite compute-intensive to do something like this.  This
could be done through a custom sort as well, if applying it at the
scoring level doesn't work.  I haven't given any thought to how this
could work for scoring or sorting before, but does sound quite
interesting.

>   Any ideas on how to approach this would be appreciated.  The scoring
> in Lucene has always been a bit confusing to me, despite looking at
> the code several times, especially once you get into boolean queries,
> etc.

No doubt that it is confusing - to me also.  But Explanation is your
friend.