On Jun 29, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Terence Lai wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to construct a query which matches a sub-string of a field. As an illustration, I would like to search the following words by using the sub-string "test":

- test
- testing
- contest
- contestable

I realize that Lucene does support wildcard searches using "*" and "?" in the custom query. Therefore, the query string "*test*" should give me the right result. However, the Lucene query syntax (http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/queryparsersyntax.html) does not allow the wildcard "*" as the first character of the search. Therefore, the query "*test*" is invalid. Does anyone have a solution to build the query to achieve the same result?

Query query = new WildcardQuery(new Term("field", "*test*"));

Careful with performance and term expansion on this though.