Roy,

Quick example.
Index A has fields 'title' and 'contents'.
Field 'contents' is stored in A as Field.UnStored.
This means that you cannot retrieve the original content of the
'contents' field, since that value was not stored verbatim in the
Therefore, you cannot create a new Document instance, pull out String
value of the 'contents' field from A, use it to create another field,
add it to the new Document instance, and add that Document to a new
index B using addDocument method.

addIndexes method does not need to pull out the original String field
values from Documents, so it will work.

Otis