You can use
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/search/spans/SpanFirstQuery.html

Pete

----- Original Message -----
From: "O'Hare, Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:48 AM
Subject: RE: Browse by Letter within a Category

Thank you for the suggestion. I implemented what you recommended and now
having it working. I'm sorting on the first word in the title.

Does Lucene have a "beginning of line" query syntax, like the regular
expression ^ symbol? For example,

title:^A*

What is the best way to sort by a date? I currently have a date field
that is used for searching in the format YYYYMMDD as a Field.Keyword.

Thanks,
Tom

  _____