See the explain functionality in the Javadocs and previous threads.  You can ask
Lucene to explain why it got the results it did for a give hit.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 07/12/04 04:52PM >>>
I search the index on multiple fields. Could the search results also
tell me which field matched so that the document was selected? From what
I can tell, only the document number and a score are returned, is there
a way to also find out what was the field(s) of the document matched the
query?

Sildy