I think the answer really really depends on the query input source, and
user-savvy.

If the source is a web-based form AND users only enter "basic" searches, then
lucenequeryconstructor.js in sandbox does an adequate job of building complex
queries from a simple form. Alternatively, just use javascript to modify the
query before form submission.

In any event, many people seem to miss the second parse method in
MultiFieldQueryParser:

http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/api/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/MultiFie
ldQueryParser.html#parse(java.lang.String, java.lang.String[], int[],
org.apache.lucene.analysis.Analyzer)

Still, the queries that can be constructed using MultiFieldQueryParser aren't
complex, as compared to lucenequeryconstructor for instance.