This is how I do it:

IndexSearcher[] is = new IndexSearcher[2];

is[0] = new IndexSearcher(IndexDir1); // first index folder
is[1] = new IndexSearcher(IndexDir2); // second index folder

MultiSearcher searcher = new MultiSearcher(is);

searcher.search(query);

I think that the MulitSearcher is only doing sequential search. Alternately, you can
use ParallelMultiSearcher which allows you to do the search in parallel.

Hope this helps,
Terence