My guess would be 'something in the QueryParser', but I don't know for
sure.  Erik will know.... he's the fortunate guy who spent a lot of
intimate moments with QueryParser. :)
If I were you, I'd throw out QueryParser out of the equation by using
the Lucene API (various Query classes) directly, instead of relying on
QueryParser.  Then you will see if your query is still getting
lower-cased or not.  If it's not, it's the QueryParser that's doing it.

Otis