Hi,
  Note that Lucene only provides an API to build a
search engine you can use it how ever you want it. You
can pass data to indexing in 2 forms.
1. java.lang.String
2. java.io.Reader

What Lucene recieves is any of the two objects above.
Now in the case of non-text documents you need to
extract the text information from the documents and
either create as a text file and convert to a Reader
object or creat a String object (for small files).

For indexing database contents, you need to write your
own APIs to get data from the database (using JDBC/EJB
etc), convert the data to a String object and pass it
to Lucene for indexing.

Again Lucene is not responsible for getting the data
from your application. It only indexed the data given
it to you.

Also for extracting contents from pdf & doc
files(generally known as straining) I know of 2 more
tools
wvWare -> for word documents
pdftotext(xpdf) -> for pdf documents.

Google around and you will get lot of links.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
   George